A fun Outer Banks retreat.
The owner shares some beach experiences.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Back at Hatteras


The little guy that inspired our house sign takes refuge behind the sign!






9/10/10
I picked up a new sail and SUP today. I had a nice light wind wave session at Ramp 30 with Keith M. Waist high waves were just the right size for my reentry into wave sailing after a summer with no sailing since June. After the sailing session I headed to the south side to get side off winds and got my new SUP wet. I saw a few dolphins and had a blast surfing the small waves in the warm clear water. A great first day back at Hatteras!
9/11/10
I had a short morning SUP session at ramp 38. High tide with no breaking surf and a light N breeze. I paddled into the wind for a quarter mile or so and then "downwinded" back to my launch.
In the afternoon, I headed south to the airport ramp. I launched amid a fishing tournament spread out along the entire beach and was quickly greeted by a dolphin. After a few failed ride attempts, I finally saw a good break back east where it was a bit too crowded to park because of so many fishermen. Once I got up there I immediately started catching some fun waves. I was joined by James on his 9 foot SUP. James and his wife Teresa were staying at their beach house in Salvo down from their home in Portsmouth, VA. I admitted to James that I wasn't thrilled to see another SUPer because I didn't feel ready to ride in the vicinity of others. But James laughed at my concerns and gave me great encouragement and tips. We even had a couple party waves. My only regret was when out on the water he loaned me his Werner Nitro carbon paddle with a narrow 7 inchish wide blade. I loved it. When he handed back my fiberglass paddle it felt like a rock! Maybe I'll get lucky and break my paddle.
9/12/10
Very rainy. Hello mosquitos! Had a great sunset session at the Hole with Andy, Frisco George and another fellow. Tried fwds about five times. Good progress.
9/13/10
Morning wave session at Avon pier in a north wind with my SUP and a five eight sail. Pretty fun but I cut the session short as I was a bit intimidated by some of the big shore break should I go down inside.
Mid-day and the north wind has filled in! Spent a couple hours at the Hole. Tried about three forwards on my first few runs out (5.8, 93 liter). They are starting to come around!

Looks like Igor's swell will be hitting Hatteras around contest time. Just before sunset I took the SUP to the hole. No one on the water as the wind was a light 6 or 8 knots. I sailed the SUP and tried different mast track positions. The board is awesome on flat water in light winds. So stable yet very turnable. This session brought back memories of my first year sailing in Florida. The magic of being propelled quietly through the water with no roaring motor or exhaust smell is still there!
9/14/10
West breeze SUP session at Avon pier in the morning. Caught a couple and a couple caught me.
Mid day Dave C visited and later Bob Ramsey and Andy from Delaware. They are in the competition.
Around 5:30 headed for Ramp 30 on Andy's advice. Ken and Stuart were there and just launching with a couple other surfers. George M caught up with us. Pretty hard to catch waves at first but it got better. First nose ride, awesome. Saw a shark in close or a reasonable facsimile.

9/15/10

Wave Jam started today. I had a nice SUP session at ramp 30 before the 10 am skippers' meeting. We sailed the ocean near the Hatteras ferry docks. For me all SUP, first with a sail and then paddling the rest of the day.

9/16/10

They held the amateur contest today due to rising surf from Igor and a questionable wind forecast. I was eliminated in the first heat but my heat winners took 1st, 2nd and 3rd so I can blame my early elimination on bad luck on the heat draw.

9/17/10

Very light wind and huge surf. Only one sailor made it out to catch one wave while a few bold SUPers made it out for some exciting 12 foot wave action.

9/18/10

Crazy huge surf. Pro Graham Ezzy even looked pensive as he prepared. Graham and a few more made it out to sail some mast high waves. I caught a light wind sound session and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment